Life is a beautiful journey full of chaos and adventure. So, fold your sleeves, come out of your comfort zone and try something you always wanted to do.

8 Jul 2015

A Tribute to Ira Singhal: UPSC Topper in 2015

Photo via Times of India

This is in continuation to my post Lessons from Ira Singhal: UPSC Topper 2015 , which is inspired from the interview of Ira Singhal by Ravish Kumar of NDTV

She repeated the message of Bhagwat Gita that you must perform your duties without worrying for the fruits of your action. Many will not agree as they feel that the result motivates them. But, you can see how this lady has topped one of the toughest exams by practicing this philosophy.  I couldn't believe that the interview was of an UPSC Topper. Normally, these interviews of successful people are focused on their struggle and hardship. But, the interview of this lady was different. She gave me hope, encouragement and  motivation to see beyond my own problems. How she has turned her problems into opportunities was worth admiring.

When she was asked about her physical condition, I found that she never glorified her special needs; she explained that her hands have restricted movement and her spinal cord is of S- shaped and not straight. But, she maintained that she feels normal about herself. She told that everyone has one problem or another, only thing is that her problems are more visible than others. She felt that her condition was far better than those who don’t have parents. This is awesome.

How can someone to so resolved, calm and composed? She was a true epitome of character and has shown exemplary attitude. I was not so impressed not just because she had topped one of the toughest exams; rather I am in awe of her positive frame of mind. How she has never back down in life when so called normal people often don’t achieve even an iota of what she has accomplished till date. Her Interview should be shown to all the students, their parents and teachers. You can find it on you tube by searching “Ira Singhal Interview by Ravish NDTV Prime Time”.

When asked about her motivation to become an Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer, she told that as an Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer, she has to do more of office works and she always wanted to do good for the people by doing more field works. She told that she didn’t want to become an IAS officer for name, fame, power or the determination to prove anything. In fact she told that she has nothing to prove and is doing something just because she wanted to do more social works for the people. I am working in a Construction company and I am in a profile where I have to visit site often though I work in an office.

I can understand how courageous and determined she is, just by listening to these words as field work takes a toll on the physical health. Had she been an ordinary person then IRS was a much better option for her that IAS. When she was asked how she will feel if she will be transferred frequently. She told that everyone who aspires to become an IAS knows that they have to live in Suitcase, i.e. they have to be mentally prepared for all those things.

I felt that she has shown selflessness when we are more and more obsessed about ourselves. She hangs out with her friends like every other person and is an inspiration for differently abled and so-called normal people. I am proud to say that she is more normal than I am and she has changed my perception about people with special needs. I am feeling that it is the social conditioning which makes them feel bad about themselves. Everyone is not as great as Ira and definitely she will change the way we think about those who do things differently. Even when we feel bad for their physical condition, we cause more harm than good as we must let them feel normal. We all have a lot to learn from this lady.

Now some feelings from my heart for her

Whenever, I will be tempted to take an easy route in life, I will remember you. You have studied not to get selected in handicapped quota, rather you topped the exam as you walked the talk that you feel normal. You are not-handicapped but an extraordinary person with whom everyone can relate. I feel that I am an avid book reader as I have read around 30-40 books, what should  I call you who must have read 100-200 plus books. You have kept good company of your family, friends, and good literature. You have kept yourself so engaged in doing good things that you don’t have any time to find fault in yourself or others. You are absolutely a great personality. I have written last night about the Lessons I learned from you in my post Lessons Learnt from Ira Singhal: UPSC Topper 2015. But, I felt that there was more that I wanted to write about you and so I am back with this post on you.

Thank you for being so upbeat about life. I have already informed in detail about you to my mother and my brother. But, I was not surprised that they knew your name as by topping in UPSC 2015, you have become a household name. Every year someone tops UPSC, IIT, CAT, AIPMT and many more exams like Boards. This is not the first time I have watched the interview of any topper. But, this is the first time when I got so much influenced by someone. I am more impressed with your positive attitude and crystal clear frame of mind than anything else like you are differently abled or an UPSC Topper.

Definitely, we were fortunate to know you just because you cleared UPSC and that too as a Topper. But, the best thing about you is your attitude. You are crystal clear about your thoughts and actions. You are not like me who in the past has felt bad for not getting into IIT and took some time to get over it and move on in life. I have positive attitude but sometimes I get affected by petty issues. I can proudly say that my life will be different from this moment.


Share:

2 comments:

  1. Superb article... I am too much influenced by Ira Singhal as well as your blog.

    Keyur Shah

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb article, even i am very much influenced by Ira singhal....she is my role model now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive